The Fire of 1979

The Fire of 1979

The original house that stood on the corner of First and Beaver streets was devastated in a fire in late 1979. The upper story took the brunt of the damage when an overheated chimney from a wood stove overwhelmed the home. The first floor received minor damage. Fortunately, the homes three tenants, Allen Ehrmantraut, John Newman and John Stang, who were away, did not occupy the second story during the blaze. Shortly after the fire, owners Joe Stahancyk and Tom Matheson wanted to bulldoze the house but were approached by a foursome of Crook County newcomers with an offer they couldn’t resist. Andy and Anne Anderson & Darrell and Dixie Varcoe asked Stahancyk if they could tear down the house and retain all salvageable material. Joe agreed and a deal was made that satisfied all involved.